Monday, March 1, 2010

Day 1

I arrived in Haiti today...
At the airport, while waiting for our ride, we witnessed hundreds of Hatians trying to beg us for help through the gates of the airport. Once we got out, several people followed us and one little boy pleaded "my sister is dead, my sister is dead"....

On our way through Port Au Prince, we saw many signs of devastation; sprawling tent yards that will be flooded in a few days time, the collapsed presidential palace, and hundreds of collapsed buildings...we saw UNICEF, the Red Cross, and Save the Children.

Once in Leogane, we were greeted by the Sri Lankan army. Brilliant. And also, the UN is here, which comforted me. When we arrived at our base (a partially built night club), everyone was at the Canadian Army base watching the hockey game. I guess it makes sense that they would be here in larger numbers than the American army because they aren't currently fighting any wars...

Everyone in Leogane has been entirely polite, from yielding to our car in the street to smiling and waving heartily as we stroll by. I have been able to speak French and be understood, but I am working on picking up some Creole.

Myself and the other volunteers are sleeping in a partially built night club on bunk beds. It's not as unpleasant as it sounds...there is a cool breeze that comes in through the window. I am happy here.

No comments: