Thursday, March 4, 2010

Day 4

There was an aftershock today, and the stuff fell off my shelves so I got out of bed...some volunteers are getting really worried about the concrete roof that we sleep under, and they started sleeping in the roofless courtyard.

I went to the market today, and it was by far the hottest it's been since I've been here. About 30 degrees. By the time we got there, I believe I was suffering from heat exhaustion, because I stopped a girl so I could buy a popsicle (ice lolly) and gave her 100 goude for a popsicle that was 5 goude. Anyways, once she was giving me all my change, people started surrounding me, begging for money, and yelling for me to buy their products. It was scary and riot-like. One of the bla's (foreigner) we were with spoke Creole, so he got me out of it. I didn't even eat the stupid popsicle. It was gross.

In the afternoon, I was hauling rubble. It was so fun! We took down a big cement roof with some sledge hammers. What is the most fun thing about hauling rubble is the response from the community. All people want to do is help. So we let them use our equipment, and they are working harder than us on the job site; hammering away while barefoot...even the littlest kids want to help, which still freaks me out, because the tools we are using could kill a little kid. But the spirit of the community amazes me. They are so upbeat. These people had nothing before the earthquake. But now they've lost their families.

Joe's bar opened tonight..right next door to our night club. We have to walk through the camp to get there, and all the people living in the camp are watching us have a good time. It's a little disconcerting...I comfort myself with the fact that I'm contributing to the local economy...Joe hired 2 girls from the camp! And the bottle caps from our Heinikins were used as tin nails to build a transitional shelter. Bomb.

No comments: