Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Future

I don't know which path is meant for me. As of this minute, I have three potential futures to strive for.

Future # 1: Move to South Korea and teach English
What an adventure this would be! To explore another culture would promote my spiritual growth so much! I could stay as long as I wanted, potentially until I pay off my hefty student loans. Seoul sounds great, and when I heard the details of the program I got so excited.
BUT the money is not as great as I thought it would be...teacher salary. Also, I would be absolutely all on my own. I know I would make friends quickly and this experience would be AMAZING. Especially since I recently realized my homoflexibility for asians. Also, this has nothing to do with my future career plans.

Future # 2: Working for SIXTY USA
I'm have a PR/Marketing internship for this company right now, and I love the environment. The creative assignments I am given are rewarding and stimulating. They are in the process of hiring a PR Assistant, but I haven't yet expressed my interest in the position. This makes me feel like a coward. I realized this week that I have the inability to market myself to an employer. I always feel humility because I have so little career oriented experience, and they could always find someone better. If I tried for this opportunity, I would be working in West Village, NYC. I would be with people I know, and have an active social life right from the beginning of the job. This is where I want to take my career. The image of the company fits with my personality so so well.
BUT the money would not be the best, and I would have to pay all my monthly expenses on top of paying back my hefty student loans. Therefore, I would be pretty broke.

Future # 3: Working for SIXTY Headquarters in Chieti, Italy
Ever since I started learning Italian, I have thought about how great it would be to work and live in Italy. Three years later, I possibly have an opportunity to do just that. Wow. No matter what the position I held in Italy was, it would be high powered, global marketing. Anyone who knows me knows that my two fave career choices are global marketing and fashion. I'm going to work on contacting the International Brand Manager and the International Advertising Manager closer to my graduation to formally inquire about a position in the company. BUT I highly doubt that they hire employees straight out of college. I know I could do this job well, but they know nothing about my potential or previous work.


Three very different paths leave me here studying art in NYC getting ready to graduate.

No comments: